I am a Postdoctoral Fellow at the Mathematical Biosciences Institute (MBI)
and a President's Postdoctoral Scholar at The Ohio State University. I am interested in modeling, analysis, and simulation of intracellular transport and filament organization mechanisms. My research interests broadly include mathematical biology, PDEs/dynamical systems, stochastic processes, and data analysis.
At Brown University
, I worked with Dr. Björn Sandstede
on dynamical systems modeling of messenger RNA localization in Xenopus
(frog) oocytes, in close collaboration with the Mowry Lab
in Molecular Biology.
At the MBI
, I am developing agent-based models and topological data analysis tools to understand motor-filament interactions in the reproductive system of the worm C. elegans
with Dr. Adriana Dawes
. I am also building stochastic simulations of neurofilament transport in rat axons with Dr. Anthony Brown
and Dr. Peter Jung
. In addition, I am developing stochastic techniques to analyze the large-time dynamics of motor transport models and developing frameworks to understand establishment of filament polarity in cells with Dr. Scott McKinley
at Tulane University.
Spotlight on Adriana's and my work (research and outreach) in the OSU Math Newsletter, Fall 2018
Report on SIAM Life Sciences published in DSWeb, October 2018
Selected in the inaugural cohort of President’s Postdoctoral Scholars at The Ohio State University, Summer 2018
Science Lecture Series Talk at Ohio Wesleyan (April 2018) featured in OWU Student Newspaper
Sigma Xi Award from Brown Applied Mathematics, May 2017
BioPhysical Journal article featured in Brown News and Brown Graduate School News, April 2017
Honorable Mention Award in the AWM Poster Competition, SIAM Annual Meeting, July 2016
SIAM Student Chapter Certificate of Recognition, May 2016
Reginald D. Archambault Award for Teaching Excellence: First Prize for Excellence in Summer Session Education, November 2015
Red Sock Award at SIAM Dynamical Systems, May 2015
Upcoming Activities and Talks
November 7th, 2019: Poster at the Translational Data Analytics Fall Forum at OSU.
November 15th, 2019: Invited talk in the Networks Seminar at University of Houston, Houston, TX.
January 15th, 2020: Invited talk in the AMS-AWM Special Session on Women in Mathematical Biology at JMM in Denver, CO.
January 16th, 2020: Invited talk in the SIAM Minisymposium on Mathematical modeling and simulation of complex biological systems at JMM in Denver, CO.
Selected Recent Activities
October 31st, 2019: Colloquium in the Department of Mathematics and Statistics at Wake Forest University in Winston-Salem, NC.
Biophysics Program Seminar at the University of Maryland, September 2019.
Invited department seminar in the Department of Mathematics at Duke University, September 2019.
Invited speaker at the Workshop on Applied Mathematical Modeling with Topological Techniques at ICERM, August 2019.
Invited talk at the SIAM Conference on Applications of Dynamical Systems, May 2019.
Class of 1960s Speaker and visit in the Department of Mathematics & Statistics at Williams College, May 2019.
Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics (SIAM)
Association for Women in Mathematics (AWM)
Society for Mathematical Biology (SMB)
American Mathematical Society (AMS)
Mathematical Association of America (MAA)
The American Society for Cell Biology (ASCB)
Past Activities and Talks
Invited and Conference Talks
- September 29th - October 1st, 2019: Research visit and Biophysics Program Seminar at the University of Maryland in College Park, MD.
- September 25th, 2019: Department seminar in the Department of Mathematics at Duke University in Durham, NC.
- August 5-9th, 2019: Invited talk at the Workshop on Applied Mathematical Modeling with Topological Techniques at ICERM, in Providence, RI.
- July 29th-30th: Invited talk and poster at the Tutorial Workshop on Parameter Estimation for Biological Models at NCSU in Raleigh, NC.
- July 22-26th, 2019: Invited talk at the SMB Annual Meeting, session on Multiscale modeling of cytoskeleton-mediated cellular transport and aggregation, Montreal, Canada.
- May 19th-23rd, 2019: Invited talk at the SIAM Conference on Applications of Dynamical Systems, MS87 on Topological Data Analysis and Applications in Dynamical Systems (May 21st), Snowbird, UT.
- May 1st-3rd, 2019: Class of 1960s Speaker and visit in the Department of Mathematics & Statistics at Williams College, Williamstown, MA.
- April 12th, 2019: Invited talk in the Mathematical Biology Seminar at Duke University, Durham, NC.
- March 22nd, 2019: Invited talk at the Mathematical Biology Seminar at Arizona State University, Tempe, AZ.
- March 21st, 2019: Invited talk at the Modeling and Computation Seminar at the University of Arizona, Tucson, AZ.
- February 28th, 2019: Invited talk at the Women in Math and Science club at OSU, Columbus, OH.
- February 8-9th, 2019: Invited speaker in the Quantitative Methods in Understanding Cellular Transport Workshop organized by the Southeast Center for Mathematics and Biology, held at Tulane University, New Orleans, LA.
- February 2019: Invited talk in the Department of Mathematics at University of California, Riverside.
- January 2019: Invited talk in the Department of Mathematics at University of California, Irvine.
- January 18th, 2019: Invited talk in the AMS Special Session on Recent Advances in Biological Modeling and Related Dynamical Analysis, II at the Joint Mathematics Meeting, held in Baltimore, MD.
- January 17th, 2019: Invited talk in the MAA Session on Introducing Mathematical Modeling through Competitions, II at the Joint Mathematics Meeting, held in Baltimore, MD.
- November 29, 2018: Invited talk in the School of Mathematics at Georgia Tech University.
- October 11-13, 2018: Invited talk at the SACNAS STEM Diversity Conference, held in San Antonio, TX.
- October 10, 2018: MBI representative talk at the Modern Math Workshop, held in San Antonio, TX.
- September 13, 2018: Featured talk with Dr. Anthony Brown at MBI-CBI Minisymposium on Quantitative Neuroscience, organized by the Chronic Brain Injury Discovery Theme and held at the MBI, Columbus, OH.
- August 12-17, 2018: Invited talk (Modeling microtubules in mRNA localization) and Poster (Agent-based models of actin ring channels) at Workshop on Mathematics of the Cell: Mechanical and Chemical Signaling across Scales, held at Banff International Research Center, Banff, Alberta.
- August 9, 2018: Invited Talk at the AMS MRC 2016 follow-up Micro-conference on Parameter estimation and Uncertainty quantification in Physiology and Medicine, in Minneapolis, MN.
- August 6-9, 2018: Invited Talk at the SIAM Conference on the Life Sciences, Minisymposium MS29 on Interactions of Molecular Motors and Cytoskeletal Structure (August 7th), in Minneapolis, MN.
- May 2-4, 2018: Invited Talk at the Frontiers of Mathematical Biology: Modeling, Computation and Analysis conference, held at the University of Central Florida, Orlando, FL.
- April 21-22, 2018: Invited Talk in the AMS Special Session on Nonlinear and Stochastic Partial Differential Equations and Applications at the AMS Spring Eastern Sectional Meeting, held at Northeastern University, Boston, MA.
- April 12, 2018: Invited talks at the Math/CS Pizza Lunch and the Science Lecture Series at Ohio Wesleyan University.
- March 17, 2018: Invited talk in the Special Session on Mathematical Modeling of Neuronal Networks at the AMS Spring Central Sectional held at the Ohio State University.
- February 16, 2018: Invited talk in the Applied Mathematics Seminar at University of Cincinnati.
- January 29, 2018: Invited talk in the Mathematics Department at Kenyon College (Math Monday).
- October 6-7, 2017: Talk the International Symposium on Biomathematics and Ecology Education and Research, held at Illinois State University, Normal, IL.
- September 20, 2017: Invited Talk at the Probability and Stochastics Seminar at Tulane University.
- July 17-20, 2017: Invited Talk at the SMB Annual Meeting, Minisymposium on Modeling of Molecular Motor Systems (July 20th), at University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT.
- May 21-25, 2017: Invited Talk at the SIAM Conference on Applications of Dynamical Systems, MS58 on Waves and Patterns (May 22nd), at Snowbird, UT.
- May 16, 2017: Invited Talks on FRAP parameter estimation and numerical methods to simulate mRNA transport at the Molecular Motors Meeting at Penn State University, State College, PA.
- April 20, 2017: Invited Seminar Talk in the Department of Mathematics at Creighton University.
- October 19, 2016: Invited talk at the Probability and Stochastics Seminar at Tulane University.
- October 4, 2016: Invited talk at the Mathematics Department at Bates College.
- September 22, 2016: Invited talk at the SIAM Chapter at the Worcester Polytechnic Institute.
- July 11-14, 2016: Talk and Minisymposium organizer at the SIAM Conference on the Life Sciences, held in Boston, MA.
- November 17, 2015: Invited Talk at Brown/BU Joint Dynamics and PDE Seminar, held at Boston University.
Contributed and Local Talks
- September 20th-21st, 2019: Talk at the Annual Conference on Differential Equations and Dynamical Systems and their Applications at Miami University in Oxford, OH.
- August 2nd: Poster on organizing a local MCM contest at MAA MathFest in Cincinnati, OH.
- July 2nd, 2019: Research talk at the Summer MBI REU Program.
- June 24-28th, 2019: Poster and lightning talk at the MBI Summit on the Rules of Life, Columbus, OH.
- May 8th, 2019: Flash Talk Showdown organized by the Postdoctoral Association at OSU, OH.
- November 6th, 2018: Talk in the Postdoc Seminar at the Mathematical Biosciences Institute.
- November 2nd, 2018: Research talk at the Worm Group meeting of Dr. Dawes and Dr. Chamberlin, at OSU, OH.
- October 18, 2018: Talk at STEAM Factory October STEAM Exchange on Locomotion, held at the STEAM Factory, Columbus, OH.
- September 15, 2018: Remote talk at WINRS Research Symposium, held at University of Virginia, Charlottesville, VA.
- July 8-12, 2018: Oral Presentation in the Biochemistry and Cell Biology track at the Society of Mathematical Biology Annual Meeting, held in Sydney, Australia.
- June 13th, 2018: Research talk (Dawes group) at the Mathematical Biology Bootcamp in the MBI Summer REU, Columbus, OH.
- June 12th, 2018: LaTeX Tutorial at the Mathematical Biology Bootcamp in the MBI Summer REU, Columbus, OH.
- May 15, 2018: Talk in the Destination Ohio State University (DOSU) Bridge Program Information Session.
- February 1, 2018: Talk in the Postdoc Seminar at the Mathematical Biosciences Institute.
- August 31, 2017: Research talk at Dr. Chuan Xue's Group meeting.
- August 12-19, 2017: Online poster at the Poster Session on the Web for the Americas XI Conference on Differential Equations and Nonlinear Analysis.
- March 4, 2017: Contributed Talk at WINRS, AWM New England Mathematical Meeting, in Providence, RI.
- January 4-7, 2017: Presentation at the Joint Mathematics Meetings, AMS Session for Contributed Papers on Mathematical Biology (I, January 6th), in Atlanta, GA.
- November 4th, 2016: Talk at the Brown SIAM Chapter Math Slam.
- October 17th, 2016: Talk at the Applied Math Graduate Seminar at Brown University.
- August 8-11, 2016: Poster Presentation at the SIAM Conference on Nonlinear Waves and Coherent Structures, held in Philadelphia, PA.
- July 11-15, 2016: Poster Presentation at the AWM Workshop, held in conjunction with the SIAM Annual Meeting in Boston, MA.
- June 1-3, 2016: Poster presentation at the Conference on Analysis of PDEs using Dynamical Systems Techniques, held at Boston University.
- April 23-24, 2016: Poster presentation at the KUMU Conference on PDE, Dynamical Systems, and Applications, held at University of Missouri.
- April 1-2, 2016: Research Talk at the Applied Math Days, held at RPI.
- January 18-22, 2016: Poster Presentation at the Opening Workshop for the Stochastic Dynamical Systems in Biology: Numerical Methods and Applications Program, held at the Isaac Newton Institute, Cambridge, UK.
- November 13, 2015: Math Slam Talk at Workshop on Integrating Dynamics and Stochastics for undergraduate students interested in graduate school from across the US, held at Brown University.
- October 6, 2015: Talk at the Applied Math Graduate Seminar at Brown University.
- May 17-21, 2015: Poster presentation at the SIAM Conference on Applications of Dynamical Systems, held in Snowbird, UT.
Poster won the Red Sock Award (SIAG/Dynamical Systems) for best poster presentation. More information and the poster can be found here.
- April 10-11, 2015: Talk at Applied Math Days, held at RPI.
- March 21-22, 2015: Talk at the Workshop on Agent-Based Modeling at Brown University (organizer with Alexandria Volkening and John Gemmer).
Workshops and Programs
- August 12-16th, 2019: Workshop on Systems Modeling in the Pharmaceutical Industry at The Fields Institute in Toronto, Canada.
- May-August, 2019: Supervisor of undergraduate student research on "Complex simulations of mRNA transport" at OSU.
- May 12-14th, 2019: Visit at the Molecular Motors Meeting at Penn State University, State College, PA.
- March 15-17th, 2019: Short-term collaboration visit to continue Mathematics Research Communities workshop work on inferring the interaction network of coupled phase-oscillator systems in Boston, MA.
- June 17–23, 2018: AMS Mathematics Research Community Assistant for Workshop on Agent-based Modeling in Biological and Social Systems, held at Whispering Pines Conference Center, West Greenwich, RI.
- May 14-18, 2018: TGDA@OSU Tripods Summer School: Theory and Foundations in Topology, Geometry and Data Analysis, held at The Ohio State University, Columbus, OH.
- February 26 - March 9, 2017: Research visit at Tulane University with the Stochastics Lab.
- January 11 - February 22, 2018: Co-instructor for Math 4194: Adventures in Mathematical Modeling at The Ohio State University.
- September 14-21, 2017: Research visit at Tulane University with the Stochastics Lab.
- July-September, 2017: Summer SDE Working Group with the Stochastics Lab at Tulane University (remotely).
- June 26-28, 2017: NIMBioS Tutorial on Uncertainty Quantification for Biological Models at University of Tennessee, Knoxville, TN.
- May 21, 2017: Co-organizer of MS on Modeling of intracellular transport and cell organization (MS11, MS23) at the SIAM Conference on Applications of Dynamical Systems, at Snowbird, UT.
- May 15-19, 2017: Molecular Motors Meeting at Penn State University, State College, PA.
- April 20-23, 2017: Short-term visit to continue Mathematics Research Communities workshop work on modeling blood loss in the cardiovascular system at Creighton University.
- August 15-19, 2016: TA for GirlsGetMath @ ICERM: Summer Math Camp for High School Girls, Providence, RI.
- June 20-August 12, 2016: Volunteer TA for Summer @ ICERM: 2016 Undergraduate Summer Research Program on Dynamics and Stochastics, Providence, RI (3-4 weeks).
- June 19-25, 2016: Mathematics Research Communities (MRC) Workshop on Mathematics in Physiology and Medicine, Snowbird, UT.
- June 13-17, 2016: Mathematical Problems in Industry (MPI) Workshop, held at Duke University.
- February 25-28, 2016: Short-term visit to continue work on the kidney autoregulation project at NIMBioS, University of Tennessee.
- August 5-14, 2015: Mathematical Modeling in Industry Workshop for Graduate Students at the IMA, University of Minnesota.
- June 22-25, 2015: A Research Collaboration Workshop for Women in Mathematical Biology at NIMBioS, University of Tennessee, as part of the Blood Flow Autoregulation in the Kidney project lead by Anita Layton and Aurelie Edwards. More information about the workshop can be found in the AWM Newsletter.
- September 15-19, 2014: BU/Keio Workshop on Dynamical Systems, held at Boston University.
- May 24-30, 2014: Workshop on Stability of Solitary Waves, held at Centro de Giorgi, Pisa