My interests include dialogue systems, paraphrase detection, coreference resolution, distributed semantics, cognitive computational modelling, and multiword expressions (MWEs).
- Coreference and Focus in Reading Times Evan Jaffe, Cory Shain, William Schler. Cognitive Modeling and Computational Linguistics (CMCL), co-located with LSA Annual Meeting, 2018. [paper] [slides]
- Combining Pattern-matching and CNNs for Question Identification in a Virtual Patient Dialogue System. Lifeng Jin, Michael White, Evan Jaffe, Doug Danforth, Laura Ackermann. 12th Workshop on Building Educational Applications (BEA), 2017.[paper]
- A Corpus of Word-Aligned Paraphrases and Non-paraphrases in a Virtual Patient Dialogue System. Ajda Gocken, Evan Jaffe, Johnsey Erdmann, Mike White, Douglas Danforth. Language Resources and Evaluation Conference (LREC), 2016. [paper] [poster]
- Interpreting Questions with a Log Linear Ranking Model in a Virtual Patient Dialogue System. Evan Jaffe, Michael White, William Schuler, Eric Fosler-Lussier, Alex Rosenfeld, Douglas Danforth. Proceedings of the Tenth Workshop on Innovative Use of NLP for Building Educational Applications (BEA), 2015.[paper] [poster]
- Azmat: Sentence Similarity using Associative Matrices. Evan Jaffe, Lifeng Jin, Marten Van Schijndel, David King. Proceedings of the 9th International Workshop on Semantic Evaluation (SemEval), 2015., 2015.[paper] [poster]
- The Role of Learnability in Morphological Change: A Computational Approach. Evan Jaffe, Byung-doh Oh. The Fourth American International Morphology Meeting (AIMM4), 2019.[abstract] [slides]
- Coreference and Discourse Focus in Broad-Coverage Stimuli Evan Jaffe, Cory Shain, William Schuler. CUNY Sentence Processing, UC Davis, 2018. [abstract] [poster]
- What Does Coreference Cost? Regressing Reading Times to Coreference-based Predictors Midwest Cognitive Science Conference, 2017. [slides]
- Syntactically Trained Word Vectors. Midwest Computational Linguistics Colloquium, 2016. [slides]
- A Distributed Semantic Model of Multiword Expressions (MWEs). Center for Cognitive and Brain Sciences Member Retreat, 2014. [slides]
- Analyzing Working Memory Constraints in a Head-final Language. The Ohio State Linguistics Colloquium Fest, 2013. [slides]
Grants and Awards
- 2014-2019: NSF Graduate Research Fellowship Awardee
- 2014: Center for Cognitive and Brain Sciences (CCBS) Summer Grant
- 2013-2014: Graduate Research Assistantship (w/Michael White)
- 2012-2013: University Fellowship
- Question Answering Using Product Reviews[paper]
- Semantic Features for Improving Identity Coreference
- Attention and Working Memory for Processing Center-Embedded Sentences
- Generalized Categorial Grammar (w/ William Schuler)
- Toward a Better Image Captioning Metric and 'Morpheme' embeddings in Japanese. Clippers Computational Linguistics Group. 2016. [slides]
- Virtual Patients: Question Matching. Clippers Computational Linguistics Group, OSU. 2014.
- Automated MWE Extraction using Dependency Chains. Clippers Computational Linguistics Group, OSU. 2013.
- Catenae: A Novel Unit of Syntactic Analysis. Paper discussion in Synners Syntax Group, OSU. 2013.
- Unix Tutorial. Department of Linguistics Technology Committee, OSU. 2013.
- Mental-State Verb Acquisition. Lacqueys Language Acquisition Group, OSU. 2013.
- AU2018 - LING 3802: Language and Computers [syllabus]
- SP2015 - LING3701/PSYCH3371: Language and Mind
- AU2014 - LING1100: Basics of Language for Language Learners
Activities and Service
- Denman Undergraduate Research Forum Judge, 2015.
- NACLO: North American Computational Linguistics Olympiad. Area volunteer.